lighttpd

Scaling Drupal: HTTP pipelining and benchmarking revisited

UPDATE: I've updated some of the numbers below to reflect corrections for a testing error. Let's just say to be sure not to benchmark with any external links in your test pages (because if you do use external links you'll obviously be benchmarking the external server too, which is not what we want in this case). To summarize the effect of these corrections - having lighttpd in front of Apache and pipelining actually provide a substantially larger boost in performance than I had indicated before. Other than that the results are the same.

So things with my first attempt at benchmarking HTTP pipelining did not go exactly as planned. It turns out that if two different domains/subdomains you are using for content on your site are pointing to the same IP, based on previous testing, it looks like browsers (at least FireFox) will not pipeline requests (e.g., create more concurrent requests to your site) because it considers the requests as being from the same origin. In order for a browser to pipelining requests at all, they seem to require two domains/subdomains which are using two separate/unique IPs. If you read the Wikipedia entry for hostnames this all makes sense, as it indicates domains are associated with IP's, and browserscope's testing of browsers checks for "Connections per Hostname", not "Connections per Domain".

After figuring out how to get requests to pipeline correctly, I re-benchmarked all the configurations from the first article . Everything from that article regarding lighttpd is still holds true, so without covering those aspects again, here's the updated benchmarks and notes for browser request pipelining:

  • Once the conditions for request pipelining was setup correctly there were discernable performance implications. Some of them I definitely wasn't expecting. On the one end of the spectrum, with browser pipelining working (via string replacement of domains within the rendered HTML) and lighttpd serving the static files there was an 11% increase in throughput vs not using the pipelining methods. So static file serving ='s good, and static file serving + HTTP pipelining ='s a little better.

    This is not where the story ends with pipelining however, as there was a net performance decrease by enabling pipelining with all configurations which did not use a separate static file server! (in my case lighttpd on the same machine)

27 January, 2010

Scaling Drupal: Benchmarking static file serving with lighttpd and browser pipelining

I finally had a chance to investigate an optimization which I've been wondering about for a while now - serving static files of a site from somewhere else. As a side, but related, experiment I also tested the claim that serving files from a static file server/separate domain/subdomain will speed things up because it results in browsers opening more concurrent requests than they would from a single domain.

For my tests I used lighttpd (pron. lighty) as a static file server for Apache. The idea is that lighttpd, which is acclaimed as being fast and light on memory, will serve the non-dynamic pages of the site (images, CSS, Javascript, etc), which should thereby help relieve Apache of some of its workload. This arrangement involves changing the paths, either on the backend or frontend, to these static resources so that they no longer get served by Apache.

The pieces
All tests took place on my Macbook Pro and involved two pages on a large Drupal 5 site running Pressflow. For the static file server itself, I installed lighttpd using Macports. Two separate pages of the site were tested, the smaller page's number of static files was in the category of 'average' for most sites. The larger page of the two, was very large - 39 CSS files, 23 Javascript files, and 46 image files.

Methods tested and benchmarked
I implemented and benchmarked the following methods of path modification in order to enable static file serving:

25 January, 2010
Subscribe to RSS - lighttpd